Dell Integrating Streak, Mobile Devices into Healthcare Solutions
Dell is bringing its new Dell Streak 5-inch Android™-based mobile device to medical professionals by integrating it into its healthcare solutions, the company announced today.
The integration of new mobile devices into Dell healthcare solutions will provide healthcare professionals with increased mobility and convenient access to digitized patient information, virtually anywhere within the EMR infrastructure.
Hospitals and physicians will be able to order the Streak this fall as an integrated component of Dell’s EMR and MCC solutions. Sixty-four percent of physicians currently use smartphone technology, and they are adopting smartphones more rapidly than any other form of healthcare IT1.
Mobile Devices and Dell Electronic Medical Records
The Streak integrates seamlessly with Dell’s EMR technology bundle, and is designed to make HIPAA compliance easier because patient information resides in Dell’s healthcare enterprise hosting center or the hospital’s datacenter, but not on the device.
Mobile Devices and Dell Mobile Clinical Computing
Dell’s MCC solution provides clinicians with access to patient information via stationary or mobile devices throughout the hospital. The solution is designed to limit access to information based on clinician credentials and by securing applications and patient information in the datacenter. With the Streak, medical professionals can conveniently benefit from mobile tablet features and voice functionality while hospital and patient information remains in the datacenter.
Healthcare providers also can be efficient and productive using mobile technologies like the Streak. The Streak is expected to further promote efficiencies with access and updating patient information.
The Dell Streak — Benefits for Physicians and Hospitals
For the Physician
* Light Enough to Use and Carry All Day: At 220 grams, the Streak is an extremely light mobile device.
* Convenient: The Streak Tablet’s compact size easily fits in a medical lab coat.
* Onboard Cameras: Onboard cameras in the front and back of the Streak let clinicians photograph and record images that can be uploaded to the patient’s EMR to chart progress over time.
* Data & Voice: Unlike many of the existing tablets available today, the Streak supports data and voice so that medical professionals can use just one mobile device on the job.
* Open and Standards-based: The Streak is based on the open Android platform which can integrate with existing hospital systems and applications.
* Enterprise Enabled: The Streak can be integrated into Dell’s healthcare enterprise systems and solutions. As a result, the device can become an extension of the hospital’s information sharing platform, not another siloed technology that adds cost and complexity for hospitals that already struggle with inter and intra-operability.
* Privacy and Security: When integrated with Dell’s EMR and MCC solutions and future healthcare offerings, applications and patient data can be protected and secured in the datacenter, not on the device.
“With the Streak integrated into our solution portfolio, we are making electronic patient information accessible to physicians and clinicians in a form factor that is easy for them to use. In the future, we will extend the accessibility of medical information throughout the healthcare ecosystem with the introduction of additional mobility offerings,” said Jamie Coffin, vice president of Dell Healthcare and Life Sciences.